Monday, March 05, 2007

Weekend Project

Wk5 Painting With No BG

No artist I, but this week's Photoshop lesson was to produce a digital painting, so that's what I tried to do. So, it's not just a photo that has been filtered, but it's all done with choosing colours and making brush strokes. I don't know if I'll ever go to the bother of doing that again, but it was an challenging stretch for me, and I think I ended up enjoying the task. It was based on a photo that I took several years ago. Sigh ... having said that, I recalled probably blogging the photo, and, of course, that made me simply had to find it. Fortunately, Google has a fine search engine that found it for me in seconds.

When I say, "No artist I," I'm not kidding or being falsely modest. I was in grade four when I realized that I couldn't draw worth beans. So, I guess I surprise myself by doing as well as I did with this. When I say that I can't draw, I mean that I cannot mentally conjure any image at all when I'm trying. Although my mind certainly visualizes when my brain is on automatic pilot, I simply cannot bring any object to mind at will, and nobody ever told me that it was okay to actually draw something that you were actually looking at.

14 comments:

methatiam said...

Allow me to be the first:
It's okay to actually draw something that you were actually looking at.

Well done, by the way!

Ginger said...

Wow, I think that looks pretty cool for being a "no artist I"!

When you say you were doing a lesson, are you talking about informal lessons, or are you taking a class in photoshop?

Have a great week!

mreddie said...

Looks pretty good to me but I also fall into the "no artist I" category. I do my drawing and painting with words - and sometimes misspell those. ec

Gina said...

I can ONLY draw something if I am looking at it!

Anonymous said...

Wow.. I am very impressed. I think this is beautiful.

dmmgmfm said...

I have no artistic ability whatsoever. However, I think YOU do!

Cathy said...

That is splendid and by all means keep going. You're going to discover abilities that apparently have been lying latent for years.

PBS said...

Wow, that is very nice. I think you have art talent. And photography is art, too, so you have several artsy talents!

Ginnie said...

Your picture has a lovely, spare, Eastern feel about it. Wouldn't the artists and photographers of the past be amazed at what the technology of our age can allow us to do?

Tossing Pebbles in the Stream said...

Let me guess. . . a male goldfinch;) Very good! I briefly thought of mastering photoshop until I saw the 1 1/2 inch thick text. I will just search and steal photo's on the Internet.

J said...

I've been toying with the idea of taking a regular painting class...I have zero talent, and I'm not being modest, either. But it would be fun to see if I can learn some techniques to mask the lack of natural ability.

Kila said...

I like it very much! Beautiful.

(I can't even draw decent stick people!)

Anonymous said...

Must have been absorbing to do. Good to try something new and to get such beautiful results, cream.

Anonymous said...

Amazing that you could do that with Photoshop. I stink at Photoshop.