Thursday, March 15, 2007

In the Heat of the Night

I didn't exactly have a wonderful sleep last night. Night Heat Syndrome has been creeping its way back into my bedroom lately, but by last night the creeping was over, for it had arrived in full vigour. While I didn't sweat through as I have been sometimes known to do, I was mighty uncomfortable and spent much of the night sans covers. Just so you understand the significance of this, it's still winter here, and the house temperature probably went as low as about 16°C/61°F last night. That's not exactly a July heat wave, but I was boiling anyway.

It's my own %^&$ fault, for I've learned in the past that good eating habits reduce this syndrome almost to elimination. And I was being very good for January and most of February, but bad habits have been creeping in again. As we approach Easter, there's chocolate in the house, and I can't seem to resist grabbing a few when I pass the bowl. And we had the kids over for dinner last night which required white rolls, pudding with cream, and cookies. Of course, when I have cookies I tend to lose perspective. I had a few in the afternoon, a few more at supper, and another at bedtime. Not only that, but the hamburger-potato casserole that I made for dinner was not one of my light dishes. There were the potatoes themselves (don't forget they're pretty sugary), the milk, the cream and a lot of cheese. So, I really overdid it yesterday and paid the price last night.

I get too confident when I seem to beat the heat for a few months by controlling my wanton appetite. Then, I let loose and suffer for it. I've never heard of anyone else who suffers these heat symptoms, though. It never used to happen to me either; it's just something that has manifested itself in these later years. I didn't really know what caused it until I was eating very properly several years ago in an attempt to reduce my weight a bit. I began to notice that I was no longer suffering form night heat, but whenever I returned to my poor eating habits, the heat returned.

So, I must return to my healthier habits. They won't likely pay off immediately, but perhaps I'll notice an improvement within a few nights.

But why oh why, am I cursed with taste buds that crave all those goodies baddies? Why can't I be one of those who gets off on carrots? Hmmm?

18 comments:

thailandchani said...

I have the same tendency with the same results. Sweets are just deadly, along with carbs. But, you know, I keep doing it anyway. :)


Peace,

~Chani

Bonita said...

Oh, I have to laugh. I'm aware of this effect, and I'm one who deliberately eats a small meal right before bedtime so that I will remain warm throughout the night. It keeps me pleasantly toasty. Otherwise, I have to use an electric blanket, booties, and a mohair shawl on top of our bedding. The weight of it all is oppressive. I'd rather be warm from the inside out!

methatiam said...

... might not hurt to get your blood sugars checked ...

Debra said...

Oh, you're in good company with tons of us women, anyway! :) And yes, it's a proven fact that processed sugar and fruits and breads too late in the day/night will cause this. The past year I've moved my dinner (supper) time to around 5:00 because of this. And I read somewhere that you shouldn't have desserts after around 2 p.m. or so. Fun, huh? (arghhh). Currently this is one of my most annoying struggles--to watch carefully what and when I eat-- so I can sympathize with you big-time!! Blessings, Debra

Cathy said...

I'm in the bootie contingent with Bonita. Anyone who 'gets off' on carrots has issues. (or relatives with long ears)

mreddie said...

When I consume desserts in the evening, I pay the price as well - but my price is that my sinuses and throat clogs up. Still I will eat them on occasion just to see if it will still happen - and it does. I'm blessed that blueberries don't cause that, so I eat them instead. ec

Anonymous said...

Sweating in the night related to chocolate in the day? I never thought of that connection. For myself I've pegged the link that any cocoa after 3 pm means my sleep will be disturbed.

dmmgmfm said...

I had no idea eating habits could cause something like that. I hope you are feeling better soon.

oshee said...

Hmm..I've noticed lately a connection between eating as you described and my migraines. This is a new twist on migraines for me. I've been checking my blood sugar but haven't had any unusual readings. So...I am having to try to reign in my taste desires too.

I wish you luck.

Ginnie said...

Remember the saying "you are what you eat". I believe that and find that if I eat junk that's how I will feel.

Gina said...

I'm sorry you are having to go through that. We as humans do all sorts of things we shouldn't, don't we?

Ginger said...

Interesting, AC. I have woken up hot some nights, and never connected it to eating habits. I guess it's time to experiment. :)

Cathy said...

Oooh. It's so good to see the daffodils and raindrops.

Madcap said...

I've been having incredible physical results with acupuncture and N.A.E.T., no more food cravings.

Anonymous said...

I have yet to meet anyone who truly gets off on carrots. :-)

Cate said...

Sorry to hear about your heat wave! Hope all the goodies were worth it, atleast!

Love the new look, btw. I've been thinking of changing mine too...something festive for Spring!

Cate

Turtle Guy said...

Oh sure... keep to the diet in the COLD months when a little heat might do you some good! It's a good thing you haven't told the bears about all this - next thing we know, they'll all be hopped up on chocolate rabits!

ChrisB said...

I sympathise and suffer whenever I indulge too late in the evening. Not eating after 5pm works but its pretty boring. By the way like the new look.