Saturday, September 09, 2006

A Reason to Rejoice

Cuppa and I are blessed to have two wonderful daughters. They are both kind, gentle, compassionate, and generous human beings. The younger daughter (D2 or Lady Bug or just Bug) is gay. Although I'm sure that some of my readers have read between the lines and figured it out, I neither hide it nor flaunt it. While I am proud of her, I am neither proud nor ashamed of her sexual orientation, just as I am neither proud nor ashamed of my own. Whether arrived at by nature or nurture, our proclivities are what they are and totally natural to each one of us.


Bug recently shared with us the news that she and Puff were engaged to be married. It's legal in Canada, you know, and most of us seem to be comfortable with the concept of equal rights for all. I don't know where you, dear reader, stand on this issue, and I truly don't want to argue gayness or gay marriage here and now although I am supporitve – obviously.


It's a different notion, and, at first blush, we might react less enthusiastically to a gay engagement than a hetero one, but marriage really means the same to all who desire to enter into it. Forget orientation for a minute, and just think about how magically wonderful it is for two people to love each other so much that they are willing to pledge a lifetime of commitment and allegiance.


That's what I thought about as I processed the news, and I rejoiced.




Bug and Puff have landed in Tokyo to begin their Asian adventure, and they have started a blog, A Team Adventures.


Here they are on Canada Day, dressed wildly and flamboyantly – as usual – Bug on the left, and Puff on the right.


19 comments:

Dale said...

And I rejoice in being the first here to offer congratulations to the happy couple. May their Lives together bring them both peace and joy.

Lynn said...

Many congratulations to them and to you and Cuppa. True love is an uncommon commodity. It's great to see it in all its various forms and guises.

Gina said...

Wonderful, exciting news! Congrats to everyone!

I echo the well-said comments above.

Heather Plett said...

Same as everyone else said - congratulations! Me thinks they're lucky to have wonderful supportive parents on their side, 'cause not everyone in life will offer them the same support.

methatiam said...

WONDERFUL! Please share wedding pictures!

Anonymous said...

Best wishes for many peaceful years! Congratulations!

Turtle Guy said...

I have a gay friend who is the second-youngest in a family of 6 kids. She and her female partner have been together for several years now and as you have pointed out, everyone seems completely accepting of both their orientation and their being together.

Comedian Mike McDonald did a skit I rather enjoy. The antics aside, at the end of the skit he says "A man, a woman - two men, two women - love is love. It doesn't matter."

As mentioned, please grace us with photos, and best wishes to all your family!

Maya's Granny said...

Finding someone to love and be loved by is the most wonderful thing in the world. How fantastic for Bug and Puff that they have each other and want a life long committment. Do post wedding photos.

PBS said...

Congratulations to the happy couple and to you both as parents, too!

-epm said...

What!!! Gay!! I'm shocked... SHOCKED I tell you!

Mock shock aside, I think you know where I stand on this. I'm so happy for Bug and Puff. My best wishes to everyone.

Rainypete said...

Congrats! Whenever soemone finds another heart to share the love with it is magic. Straight or gay is an argument for closed minds. I hope they have as much fun in the future as it looks like they already have. I wish them a long and happy marriage.

oshee said...

Love is a wonderful thing.
I wish them all the best in their commitment to each other.

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Thank you, Anvil, for being the kind of Dad who backs their children up.

You need defend nothing to me.

Love them.

Sarah Elaine said...

A wedding! Yaay!

A couple in love! Yaay!

Congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

How wonderful!! I know how you must be rejoicing. As a parent .. all I want is for my children to be happy and know love. I know the same is true for us all.

Kathy Trejo said...

Congratulations! love is a wonderful thing. I'm reading thier blog "A team adventures" they are having a blast! exciting place Babkkok...i hope to visit one day.

thanks for sharing thier link with us.

Kathy Trejo said...

Bangkok* sorry

Cathy said...

All happiness to Bug and Puff. As parents we wish only for our children's happiness, a little respite from loneliness - how could it be otherwise?

Granny said...

I'm so far behind!!

Congratulations and best wishes to them both. I'm so glad they live in Canada.