Sunday, May 07, 2006

Desert Botanical Gardens

The Desert Botanical Gardens in Phoenix in the early evening were the highlight of the first day of our Arizona Holiday.


After rising before five o'clock Eastern time, we landed in Phoenix around 4:30pm Eastern or 1:30pm Pacific. We hadn't eaten much all day long. We had thought that we would have been able to supplement our six-o'clock bagel with the promised breakfast on the Ottawa-Toronto flight. In the event, said breakfast consisted of a thimble-size portion of juice and naught else. I don't have a particular problem with that, but the reservations had specified that breakfast would be available.


Of course, there was no time to secure sustenance in the Toronto airport where we shuttled and walked approximately ninety-nine and a half mile, got scanned yet again, and cleared customs. Food was offered on the Phoenix flight, but it wasn't very attractive to either of us, so we declined the purchase.


So it was that we didn't have breakfast until eleven hours after our morning bagel. Yes, it was breakfast at IHOP. We don't have IHOPs in Canada, but we found that they served decent food at a decent price, and we ate there several times.


After breakfast, we were ready to begin the tour. The Frommers travel guide that I had purchased recommended a the Botanical Gardens at sunset; we did it and quite enjoyed the visit. Cacti of all sorts and shapes abounded: quite a treat for northerners who had seen nary a one until then. (If all Frommers guides were as helpful as this one, I recommend them unhesitatingly.)


As you can see in the first photo below, the lowering sun cast most wonderful colours, and the birds were very busy getting ready for the night. Birdsong filled the warm air as they flitted in and out of their nests in the cacti (second photo). As we were leaving, I was able to capture what is arguably my best trip photo (last one below). We thoroughly enjoyed this visit.


I've changed the Flickr photos in the sidebar to the Arizona set, so if you're ever in the mood for more, you can click here or on any of the pictures. If you do click a photo, you will then be redirected to a larger version that particular picture, but you then can access the whole set if you look to the right of the photo. (I should find a way to make it easier for you, and I probably will.)


I also wouldn't be surprised if more photos appear on Cuppa's blog in the near future. In fact, I would be surprised if she didn't publish more.


 





 

17 comments:

luna pie said...

wow... amazing pics... i can't wait to see them all!

Granny said...

That is one big cactus. We had a couple in our front yard when I lived in Phoenix and they're not that uncommon here.

Darlene said...

What utterly fabulous photos. Thanks so much for sharing!

mreddie said...

Glad you found IHOP, it sure beats starving. Great photos! ec

oshee said...

Oh I am LOVING this! I haven't been to the Botanical Gardens since I was a kid. I take my kids to the zoo next door all the time tho. I am looking forward to seeing my state through your eyes!

I changed my profile pic just yesterday so I will have to send everyone here now who wants to enjoy a view of the Phoenix sunset.

Aren't the Papago Mountains right there around the Botanical Gardens and Phoenix Zoo cool too?

PBS said...

Nice photos! I especially like the middle one, bird on the cactus.

Bonita said...

It was a good recommendation to film at sunset - great photos.

Heather Plett said...

Awesome pics! So glad you didn't lose them all!

Valerie - Still Riding Forward said...

Now I am all caught up! Nice photos, as per usual, AC,

Hope you are getting all rested up from the vacation!

Cathy said...

Oh! These are wonderful!

Linda said...

We also visited the Gardens at sunset, but your picture of the Saguaro with the setting sun is a winner.

Anonymous said...

I have never visited a desert and have always marveled at large cacti. What lovely photos.

megz_mum said...

Great photos! Love the one of the bird with the cactus.

Anonymous said...

I love the photos! I love Arizona! I hope to see more.

Lora said...

Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hubby is currently on his way home from across the continent. I do not have enough words in my vocabulary to describe how lousy it is to have to fly anywhere these days. Hubby is diabetic, controlled at this point by diet...but you can imagine how hard it is for a diabetic dealing with planes. We found last summer that even trying to schedule a 2 to 3 hour layover (knowing how they enjoy making you wait on flights) even does not work So this trip, I did what I could to help him have what he needed. Quite frankly I think he should eat something like sardines! If enough people protested in some such way, maybe they would again begin to serve decent food! It is such a shame...we began flying back in the early 70's when it was simply a joy and your comfort was of major importance!

Loner said...

I love Phoenix - and it is even more beautiful when seen through an appreciative eye - thanks for the pics!