Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Finding Neverland

We don’t' get out much, but the other night my Better Half decided that it would be nice to go to the movies. Since it's been a while, it seemed like a good idea to me.


The last few times that we had this same idea, we checked the local scene and found nothing that lured us. This time, we found two likely candidates: Shall We Dance, and Finding Neverland. We read reviews and chose the latter: somewhat against Better-Half's inclinations. She is immediately attracted to movies that involve any sort of dancing. I'm not. In particular, I was unenthused about watching Richard Gere dance. When it was pointed out that I could ogle Jennifer Lopez too, it still wasn't enough to entice me: which probably speaks volumes about my age.


It's not easy to rate movies; I'm glad that I don't have to do it for a living. I think that I can only give this film *** (out of five), however. There is a lot to recommend it, including good acting performances. It is also a flick that will stick in the brain for a while, so that's a positive sign too.


However, when you find yourself saying, "Oh, come on now," or rolling your eyes, or shaking your head over the improbability of certain events or behaviours early on in a supposedly serious drama, then something is not right in the state of … last-century England.


It's supposedly based on the true account of how the play, Peter Pan, came into existence. However, I suspect that it was based rather loosely, indeed.


My bottom-line assessment: if you love going to the movies and get out a lot, and, if you are of semi-mature bent, this film will probably suit you. If you don't get out much and really want to pick 'em right when you do, then wait for the video.


Of course, I could be wrong. I recall sitting through Chicago in mortal agony while the other three in my company were totally entranced: as was the world, apparently — judging by all of the awards and attention that it received.


 


No comments: