Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Recommended Reading

My last blog bemoaned the reality that I haven't read any page-turners lately. I remain unsure whether it is I who has changed or whether I simply haven't chosen the right books lately. However, there are several books that I have enjoyed quite a lot and would like to recommend. One is Eats, Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss. Believe it or not, this book that I recommend is about punctuation. It is written in a very interesting and humourous way. In fact, it almost is a page-turner for me — comes fairly close anyway. I think many people would enjoy it, and there is the added benefit that one might learn something about punctuating this wacky language. Try it, you'll probably like it.

The second book that I would like to recommend is actually a series about Harmony by Philip Gulley. Gulley is a Quaker pastor who writes folksy anecdotes about a fictional Quaker pastor and his quirky congregation in a Midwestern town called Harmony. It's heart-warming, delightful stuff. My appreciation might be bolstered by the fact that I have a church background and can relate to the zany characters to some degree, but I have the feeling that a whole lot of people would really enjoy these books. If you go to the Amazon link (here and above), you will see his other books listed too. They may all be worthwhile, but I am recommending those with Harmony in the title.

No comments: